Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: NoBlood Guide to Medicines Containing Blood Components and Fractions

Thank you so very much for this rather educational and revelatory information. Much appreciative.

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

Jan,

All of the above mentioned info has been greatly appreciated, not only by myself but also by others comments. Thanks to all!
    I would like to offer whatever help I can give. I am not sure what background you are looking for to compile your data but my work with the local HLC and PVG through JW has educated me and I would be willing to assist.

Ed

Red blood cell fractions

I would like to have a list of medications that specifically contain red blood cell fractions. Maybe there aren't that many. I have not heard of any.

The only fraction derived from red blood cells that has the potential to be used therapeutically is hemoglobin. Unmodified cell-free hemoglobin and cross-linked or polymerized hemoglobin molecules from discarded bovine or human blood have been used to prepare several hemoglobin-based oxygen carriers (HBOC). However these have not been approved for commercial sale, except in South Africa and Russia. They all, without exception, have run into safety issues and clinical trials have stalled until these can be ironed out. So the short answer to your question is that currently there is no list of therapeutics containing RBC fractions that would be of much use to patients in most countries.

Thanks very much!

That is information that is reassuring to me, since that's the one blood component I have reservations about accepting, based on what has been explained about it. Thanks again!

MedGuide

Quote Originally Posted by jgrossberg View Post
    Actually, the Guide is still under construction. It will be presented as a separate NoBlood forum. I had to set my prior work on the Guide aside for awhile for a couple of reasons: "work" and "life". Then the site remodel began in earnest, but now that it's pretty much complete, I can start work on the Guide again. Hopefully I will have a partial listing up and running in the next month. I will probably be looking for a volunteer NoBlood member(s) to assist in this.
    Just wondering if the separate forum for MedGuide has been started yet and if so where we can find it?

Is it or will it be in a sub-section in the forum area or a totally new area? The quote above says 'It will be presented as a separate NoBlood forum' but I am not sure exactly what that means.

I did find this Medicines Containing Blood Fractions in the forum section but that does not seem to be it.

I questioned these "fractions" and understand that for conscience sake these are negligable amounts but to add to that these minute fractions are STERIL. Therefore not to be considered any longer whole blood. Therefore no need for tagging as is required for "whole blood".

Is this fraction "steril" therefore not tagged as blood? If blood then would have to be tagged correct? thank you

How about rituximab? Anyone know if it contains blood (it contains human and mouse recombinant DNA)?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456