Thread: Blood Clots/Stroke - They Now Have a Fourth Indicator, the Tongue

Blood Clots/Stroke - They Now Have a Fourth Indicator, the Tongue

STROKE:Remember the 1st Three Letters..... S.T.R.

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:
    During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 pm Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. they end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke..totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR . Read and Learn! Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
    (i.e. It is sunny out today)
    R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call
    an emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue
    NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other,that is also an indication of a stroke.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sharon Grant; 03-16-2009 at 01:26 PM.
    Sharon Grant
    Editorial Team

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

my friend who was Diabetic had problems uttering coherent speech when he was hypoglycaemic so diabetes may cause speech to be slurred or so

hence a differential diagnosis is required, if you are diabetic that is why it is crucial to be able to test your own blood sugar levels. Someone I know had symptoms and didn't know if he was having another stroke [or a TIA] or it was his Diabetes [ie hypoglycaemia]

Act F.A.S.T.

The UK has had a campaign running very similar to this entitled Act F.A.S.T. aimed at the public being able to do just that. The letters F.A.S.T. help identify the symptoms:

F - FACE - has it fallen to one side, can they smile?

A - ARMS - can they raise both arms and keep them there?

S - SPEECH - is their speech slurred

T - TIME - to call 999 (911) if you see any single one of these signs

It has been running for sometime now and it will be interesting to see if it has been successful.

I think this type of awareness is great. If I'm not mistaken isn't one sign of a heart attack is numbness in the left arm? Or is that a sign of a stroke too? I think the biggest thing to remember is if the person isn't quite right, it's important to call 911. I would also expect the person to realize something isn't quite right if they can't raise both arms or they are slurring their speech.
    Vega Sinclair, Health Insurance Quotes