Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acute Lyphoblastic leukemia

Acute Lyphoblastic leukemia

I came across this website hoping to get some help. My mom 57, was diagnosed with Acute Lyphoblastic Leukemia on feb. 7th. As a JW she stands firm on no blood transfusion. She started to receive a steroid on feb. 26, and received a dose of vincristine on march 1st. Her hemoglobin is a 2.8, white count is 2.2, and platlets 9. Doctors told her today to go home and recommended hospice care. I feel like they are giving up on her, she is a very strong person. Is there any help or Other treAtments that Dr's can do to help her?

Please looking for help!

2. New Feature! NoBlood Answers!

• ASK questions regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.
    • SHARE your facts, opinions and personal experience.
    • DISCOVER the best answers chosen by Healthcare Professionals and the Public.
    • RANK the best answers.

Click here to see the Best Answers to Top Questions.

Perhaps you could ask the doctors to look up this article, which may be helpful. Only the introductory paragraph is reproduced below, but the article discusses the management strategy for these patients — one of whom dropped to a hemoglobin of 2.7 g/dL. The anemia was treated with erythropoietin. There are options for these patients, but the medical team has to be committed to respecting the patient's wishes regarding the non-use of blood and the use of appropriate transfusion alternative strategies.

Haematologica vol. 85(11):November 2000

Acute leukemia in Jehovah’s Witnesses: a challenge for hematologists

With the aim of demonstrating the possibility of treating acute leukemia in Jehovah’s Witnesses by protocols which include a marrow transplantation procedure without need of transfusions, we report our experience on 5 patients. Three patients had acute lymphocytic leukemia and two acute myeloid leukemia, two received autologous bone marrow transplants and one bone marrow transplantation without transfusions. One died because of anemia during induction. Our conclusion is that acute leukemia in Jehovah’s Witnesses can be treated with protocols employed in transfused patients.

Patrizio Mazza, Giulia Palazzo, Barbara Amurri, Martino Cervellera,
    Cosimo Rizzo, Alessandro Maggi
    Unità Operativa di Ematologia, Ospedale “SS Annunziata”,
    Taranto, Italy

Last edited by Informaticus; 03-06-2012 at 07:13 PM.

What part of the world does she live in? I ask because there may be a blood management program somewhere near her.
    Mr. Jan B. Wade
    Admin
    Email

Click here for the Best Questions and Answers regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.

We live in Chicago, Illinois. She is at University of Chicago Hospital but being discharged today.

Where can I look up this article? I tried clicking on it but an error occurred.

My apologies. Click this link and the article should open as a pdf.

Dr. Michael Lill, is head of the blood and marrow transplant program at Cedars-Sinai's Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute. He may have some good information for you.

Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer InstituteCedars-Sinai Medical Center8700 Beverly Blvd.Los Angeles, CA 90048Phone: 1-800-CEDARS-1 (1-800-233-2771)
    Mr. Jan B. Wade
    Admin
    Email

Click here for the Best Questions and Answers regarding Transfusion Alternatives and Patient Blood Management.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Manzella View Post
    I came across this website hoping to get some help. My mom 57, was diagnosed with Acute Lyphoblastic Leukemia on feb. 7th. As a JW she stands firm on no blood transfusion. She started to receive a steroid on feb. 26, and received a dose of vincristine on march 1st. Her hemoglobin is a 2.8, white count is 2.2, and platlets 9. Doctors told her today to go home and recommended hospice care. I feel like they are giving up on her, she is a very strong person. Is there any help or Other treAtments that Dr's can do to help her?

Please looking for help!
    Hi,
    Our prayers are with your mom and your family...
    Try contacting Dr. Patricia Ford's office at the PA hospital in Philadelphia.
    215-829-6088 or 800-789-7366 I beleive her assistants name is Jessica.
    Also, google her name, you will find some interesting articles.
    you can also browse: www.pennmedicine.org or www.pahospital.com
    look into their bloodless center.

They sent her home so they can say she refused treatment and died as a result. If you can get her to Our Lady of Resurrection Hospital bloodless program in Chicago as soon as possible-I mean Now! - it is the oldest formal program in the US. They will probably give her Iron by I.V. and EPO or similar for red cells. There are different brands with slightly different effects. There are even synthetic drugs to boost platelets and also white blood cells. The bloodless center should know and have them in stock.
    Last edited by pnutts; 03-07-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Chicago is supposed to have the oldest formal Bloodless Program in the US at Our Lady of Resurrection Hospital. Try their program as soon as possible- to stabilize your mother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast